Driving your car in Denmark

If you are planning on living in Denmark and driving a car – perhaps your own car, there are certain things you must be aware of. You can also convert your driver’s license to a Danish license.
car on danish roads

From an EU/EEA license to a Danish license

If you have a driver’s license from an EU-country or Iceland, Norway or Lichtenstein, you can use it in Denmark. If you like, you can exchange it to a Danish EU driver’s license without passing a driving test – but only if you have an official address in Denmark.

From a non EU/EEA license to a Danish license

If you have a license issued in a non EU/EEA country you will need to pass a driving test before you can convert you driver’s license to a Danish license.

Please note: It is not necessary to pass a driving test when exchanging a driver’s license issued in the following places: Australia, Brazil, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Switzerland, Britain, Northern Ireland, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, Singapore, USA, Canada, Chile, Bosnia Herzegovina, Isle of Man, Serbia and Israel. 

Having passed a driving test (if necessary), you must go in person to the Citizens’ Service office in your municipality, where you will be given a form to fill out.

Bring your:

  • Your valid foreign driving license
  • If you are not a Danish or Scandinavian citizen, you must bring a valid residence permit (or certificate of residence if you are an EU citizen)
  • A valid passport
  • A doctor’s certificate issued by your personal general practitioner
  • A photo (colour or black and white). The photo must meet applicable driving license requirements – talk to a passport photo photographer, who will know the details.

If your foreign driver’s license has not been issued in Latin characters and is not available in German, English or French, you must bring a translation by an authorized translator.

Foreign vehicles

If you move to Denmark and have a car with non-Danish number plates, you need to register your car in Denmark no later than 30 days after having moved to the country.
Find more information about foreign vehicles in Denmark at SKATs homepage. 

You need to pay registration tax in order to get Danish number plates:
Log on to the Danish Register of Motor Vehicles and make your request. 

You can also contact the local department of SKAT in Horsens:
Skattecenter Horsens
Løvenørnsgade 25
8700 Horsens
SKATs main number: (+45) 72 22 18 18