Vehicle registration

If you have brought your own car to Denmark, you must be aware of a number of things.

For instance, if you use a car registered abroad, you will be required to pay a special registration fee in order to be allowed to drive it legally in Denmark.

The most important points to be aware of are:

If you have a permanent address in Denmark, you must register for Danish licence plates and pay a registration tax no later than 14 days after you have taken up residence in Denmark.
If you do not have a permanent address - if you are for instance here as a student or if you are working in Denmark for a limited time - you must apply for a special permit to drive a foreign-registered car.
You can learn more about the rules on foreign registered vehicles and find relevant application forms at
The Danish Tax Authority (SKAT) is responsible for the administration of these rules and offers advice and information on the matter. You are advised to contact SKAT as soon as possible after you arrive in Denmark to familiarise yourself further with the regulations.

Contact SKAT:

Skattecenter Horsens
Løvenørnsgade 25
8700 Horsens

SKATs main phone number: (+45) 72 22 18 18.