How to convert your driver’s licence

First of all, if you have a licence issued in a non EU/EEA country you will need to pass a driving test before you can convert you driver’s licence to a Danish licence.

Please note: It is not necessary to pass a driving test when exchanging a driver’s licence issued in the following places: Australian Capital Territory, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Russia, Brazil, Ukraine or Switzerland.’

Having passed a driving test (if necessary), you must go in person to the Citizens’ Service office in your municipality, where you will be given a form to fill out. Find the address of Citizen’s Service Office here:

You need to bring the following with you:

  • Your valid foreign driving licence
  • If you are not a Danish or Scandinavian citizen, you must bring a valid residence permit (or certificate of residence if you are an EU citizen)
  • A valid passport
  • A doctor’s certificate issued by your personal general practitioner
  • A photograph (colour or black and white). The photo must meet applicable driving licence requirements – talk to a passport photo photographer, who will know the details.
  • If your foreign driver’s licence has not been issued in Latin characters and is not available in German, English or French, you must bring a translation by an authorised translator.